Rhodos, Caria (Akesis, magistrate)
[B]Rhodos, Caria (Akesis magistrate; 205-188 BC.)
[u]Obv[/u]: Radiate head of god Helios, facing slightly right.
[u]Rev[/u]: Side view of large rose with bud to the right and standing figure of Apollo playing a lyre to the left; POΔION legend above and AKEΣIΣ (Akesis; Muensterberg, Br.M. 241, 247) magistrate legend below central rose; all within dotted circle.
[u]Attribution[/u]: SNG Keckman 567; SNG von Aulock 2801
[u]Provenance[/u]: ex. Gorny & Mosch 152 (lot#1416), 10.10.06
[u]Weight[/u]: 6.57 gm
[u]Maximal Diameter[/u]: mm
[u]Note[/u]: Artistic dies. Interestingly, Akesis, the name of the magistrate on this coin, means "cure of diseases" in Greek.
Rhodes - site of the "Colossus of Rhodes," one of wonders of the ancient world. This splendid city, situated on the northern promontory only 12 mi. from the mainland, was given the same name as the island. It quickly achieved great prosperity and eventually became one of the principle trading centers of the ancient world. In the 3rd century Rhodos exercised much political influence in the eastern Mediterranean, through the strength of its fleet. But, in 167 BC., the Romans declared Delos a free port, and the Rhodians, their prosperity now greatly diminished, sank into comparative obscurity.