Knidos, Caria (Epigonos, magistrate)
[B]Knidos, Caria (Epigonos magistrate; 250-210 BC.)
[u]Obv[/u]: Bust of Artemis with quiver on shoulder, facing right.
[u]Rev[/u]: Delphic tripod; EΦIΓONOΣ (Epigonos; Muensterberg, Kl.M. 143) magistrate legend to left and KNIΔIΩΣ legend on right.
[u]Attribution[/u]: SNG Cop. 281; SNG v. Aulock 2610.
[u]Provenance[/u]: ex. Ancient Imports (3/16/05, lot#8199); CNG (#4227068)
[u]Weight[/u]: 2.40 gm
[u]Maximal Diameter[/u]: 14.37 mm
[u]Note[/u]: Knidos (Cnidus), doubtless originally a Phoenician settlement, was afterwards colonized by Dorians, and was a member of the Dorian Hexapolis (later 615 Pentapolis), consisting of Cnidus, Cos, Halicarnassus, Ialysus, Camirus, and Lindus. The sanctuary of the Triopian Apollo, a sun-god whose symbol was the Lion, was the meeting-place of the members of the Hexapolis.
Cnidus, a city of Caria, at Triopium prom. The metropolis of Doris Asiatica. Founded by a Lacedaemonian colony. Here was the statue of the Cnidian Venus by Praxiteles. The birth-place of Eudoxus, Agatharchides, & c. (Classical Gazetteer, William Hazlit, 1851; pg. 114).